Followers

Monday, June 5, 2017

RED YEAST REMPAH CHICKEN

This recipe has quite a number of ingredients but no worries. It is not difficult to make if you can find cekur roots [sand ginger] for this dish. The rest is just to assemble them according to the steps and you get to enjoy a very tasty, fragrant chicken dish.  It tastes slightly salty to me but you can always adjust a little and fine tune the seasoning to suit your tastes buds.  My hubby says the taste is perfect.

My neighbour has a pot of cekur plant and he happily dug up the roots for me to make this dish.  I should have cook a bigger portion and share some with him.  Next time, next time.  
Recipe adapted from Yum Yum Magazine No. 82 with modifications
Ingredients
3 deboned chicken whole legs with skin - cut into bite size pieces
2 tbsp sesame seed oil
Marinade
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp red yeast
1 tsp pepper
2 tbsp light soy sauce
Spices [Blended]
1 lemongrass - cut small pieces
3 shallots
50 gm ginger 
1.5 cm cekur roots
Seasoning
2 tbsp glutinous rice wine
1/4 tsp salt [original was 1/2 tsp]
3-5 tbsp water

  1. Marinate chicken pieces with marinade for at least 30 minutes or longer.
  2. Blend spices in the blender.  Set aside.
  3. Heat up a non stick wok with sesame seed oil, saute spices until aromatic before adding the marinated chicken.  Continue to stir fry chicken over low heat for several minutes.
  4. Continue to stir fry over low heat until chicken pieces are cook d through.
  5. Add in the seasoning, then continue to braise until meat is tender and  sauce is thick.
  6. Dish up to serve immediately.
Cookbook Countdown

I am sharing this post with Cookbook Countdown Event #18 hosted by Joyce and Emily of Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking [Makan2] Foray respectively

8 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, that looks very tasty. I like lots of rempah to go with rice.

kitchen flavours said...

I can almost smell the fragrance of this dish! Looks delicious, perfect with a bowl of white fluffy rice!

Anonymous said...

wow, is a nice dish. if i don't have fresh cekur, can i use powder cekur instead and how much to use. thanks
anne

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, this dish was surprisingly good. My hubby loves it. Has a very unique taste and aroma. Yummy.

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, initially I thought my hubby isn't going to like this dish for the colour but I was wrong. He loves it.

Kimmy said...

Hi Anne, I didn't know there is cekur powder in the market. I either use fresh ones or the dried ones available from Chinese medical shops. I supposed you can use the cekur powder. Maybe you can try with 1 teaspoon.

Lissa said...

No way I can find cekur root in Canada. :( I have everything; I even made my own ang chew after buying the ingredients from Penang in March. Will the taste differ without cekur root?

Kimmy said...

Hi Lissa, perhaps you can omit the cekur roots and add a little more coriander powder. If you happen to be visiting Penang in future, do try to get some dried cekur roots from Chinese Medical Halls. Cekur roots are used in a number of Peranakan dishes or meat dish like this.