Followers

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

CHICKEN WITH HERBAL SESAME SAUCE

I was supposed to buy deboned chicken whole legs to cook this dish but instead I bought half a free range chicken.   Without choice, I have to modify the method for this recipe.  The original recipe used pan fry method and here I have to braise the chicken pieces using my Thermal Cooker.  The reason for using the thermal pot is because I was afraid that the chicken bones may leave scratches on my non stick wok.  ‘Sayang’ if my wok got spoiled this way.
Anyway, this is an aromatic chicken dish with a slight taste of the dang qui, a stronger sesame aroma and savoury in taste.  It is quite similar to sesame oil chicken but you know there is a herb in it.  It’s tasty and delicious to serve with rice.  The chicken pieces are tender and sweet.

Recipe adapted from Yum Yum Magazine No. 82 with modifications
Ingredients
½ free range chicken – skin removed and cut chunky pieces
2 tbsp sesame seed oil
Marinade
3 tbsp each light soy sauce
1 tbsp  glutinuous rice wine [Ang Chow Wine]
2 tbsp grated ginger with juice
1-2 small slices of Dang Qui – chopped
1 tbsp sesame seed oil
Seasoning
Dash of pepper
1 tbsp wolfberries [kei chee]
2 tbsp cornstarch water
Enough water

  1. Marinate chicken pieces with marinade for at least an hour.
  2. Heat sesame oil in thermal cooker pot, add in marinated chicken pieces to fry until firm and brown.  Stir to prevent sticking to base of pot.  Add in marinade, stir fry for a minutes before adding water.
  3. Bring to boil for a further 10 minutes. Transfer to the outer pot, place the lid and cover.  Leave to continue cooking in the Thermal Cooker  until serving time.
  4. Before serving, bring to boil, add in pepper and wolfberries.  Let it boil for a minute or two, then thicken with cornstarch water.
  5. Dish up to serve.

    Cookbook Countdown

    I am sharing this post with Cookbook Countdown Event #18 hosted by Joyce and Emily of Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking [Makan2] Foray respectively

4 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, that's a dish I would enjoy. I like thick sauce with my rice and some sliced cili padi hee..hee..

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, great idea to enjoy it with come chilli padi for extra kick and oomph. There is some pepper in this dish.

kitchen flavours said...

This dish must be very fragrant from the dang guai. Looks delicious!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, it's like a soy sauce chicken with a twist with the addition of the herbs and wolf berries. I love the tasty sauce.