These days, I have been preparing simple and easy dishes for the family. There is really nothing great to shout about these dishes but these recipes do come in useful especially when prices of food ingredients are increasing beyond our control and during our busy days.
For an average family, one cannot be serving food fit for fine dining all the time. This is when homey and comfort food are most welcome and much easier for the cook at home who often has to face these problems.
This dish has only a few main ingredients and easy to prepare yet the end result is awesome. The meat pieces and carrots are very tasty and the sweet, savoury sauce is appetizing with plain white rice.
It can also be prepared earlier and just needs to be warmed up before serving.
200 gm pork meat [shoulder neck meat] - cut big cubes
1 small red carrot – peeled and cut wedges
1 small white carrot - peeled and cut wedges
1 yellow onion – peeled and cut into squares
2 star anise
Some blanched broccoli florets [optional]
½ tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp wine and light soy sauce
½ tbsp chilli sauce
200 ml water
- Heat oil in a non stick wok, sauté onions until aromatic and add in meat pieces and fry until brown.
- Add in carrots and stir anise. Stir to mix well, then add in seasoning.
- Stir to mix well before adding water gradually in between cooking.
- Bring to boil, then simmer until meat is tender and sauce is reduced.
- If adding broccoli, cover to cook for 1 minute then dish up to serve.
- Garnish with some spring onions.