Followers

Monday, August 22, 2016

PORK RIBS AND DRIED SQUID STEW

This kind of dishes, I like to cook cos' it can be prepared long before meal time.  Just need to reheat and you can get to enjoy a tasty, flavourful and aromatic food.  The original recipe uses lamb which I have substituted with meaty pork ribs.  If using lamb rack, it has to be blanched in boiling water for 10 minutes, then rinsed thoroughly before cooking.  The cooking time is longer than for pork and the water increased to 1000 ml.
This is one of the many comfort food recipes shared by Agnes Chan in Yum Yum Magazine.
It is my first attempt cooking a meat dish with one whole dried squid and it is worth the attempt cos' this dish has the unique aroma of the squids.
Recipe adapted from Yum Yum Magazine Issue No. 72 [my selected cookbook for August Cookbook Countdown Event#8] - with modifications
Ingredients
400 gm meaty pork ribs
1 dried squid - soaked, rinsed and cut bite size pieces
1/2 tbsp oil
5-6 slices of ginger
3 cloves garlic - sliced
Seasoning
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp dark soy sauce
500 ml water
  1. Heat oil in wok, saute ginger, garlic until aromatic.  Add in the meaty pork pieces to fry until brown on both sides.
  2. Add in squids and seasoning.  Stir fry until aromatic before adding water.
  3. Bring to boil, then lower heat to simmer for 25-30 minutes or until meat is tender and gravy is reduced.
  4. Dish up and serve with rice.

6 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

This looks delicious! I like using dried squid to flavour a dish, though I do not use it very often. This dish calls for two bowls of rice!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, I seldom add dried squids to braise meat. I think this is more to Hakka style of cooking meat but no doubt it adds flavour to the dish. Nice dish with rice.

Veronica said...

I love the addition of dried squid in this dish. No doubt it lends a beautiful aroma and flavour to the pork.

PH said...

Kimmy, I believe this dish would taste better after keeping, right? The other day I saw dried squid but didn't buy. Now no more. Regretted :( Hope the supermarket stock up again.

Kimmy said...

Hi Veronica, yes this dish has a strong aroma, fragrant and tasty.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, yes definitely. I prepared it a day earlier and had it for dinner the next day, extra fragrant and tastes good. Guess you have to wait for the next stock up. Dried squids are also good for soups. Sometimes, I replace it with ikan bilis.