The thought that it is difficult to make the buns look like pumpkins is the main reason why I took so long to try. Thanks to HHB for her very informative post and I learned a lot from there.
These buns looks so cute and they aren't difficult to make if you watch video here. I love the pumpkin paste filling for its' tastes, moisture and buttery aroma. The sweetness is just perfect not overly sweet like the store-bought ones.
[makes 8 buns]
How to make the bread dough
- Knead all the dough ingredients [except butter] in a mixing bowl into a rough dough. Add in butter and continue to knead until soft, smooth and elastic.
- Shape in a round ball, cover and leave to rest for 20 minutes or double in size.
- Punch down dough. Divide the dough into 8 equal portions. Roll each dough into smooth rounds.
- Roll each dough into a round disc. Wrap each dough with one heaped tablespoon of the pumpkin filling. Pinch and seal the seam tightly.
- For each wrapped dough, place seam side down on the middle of a kitchen twine, wrap the kitchen twine around the dough to form 8 segments [note-do not wrap too tight].
- Place seam side down on a baking tray lined with parchment paper with some space in between. Leave to proof for about 40 minutes or double in size.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 degrees C for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Brush lightly with melted butter.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool on wire rack.
- Remove the kitchen twine and store immediately in an airtight container.