Followers

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Mixed Vegetables with Glass Noodles

This vegetable dish is a mixed vegetable dish with glass noodles. The glass noodles are soft and soaks up the flavours of the vegetables. This is not served as a noodle dish but more common with rice and the ingredients can varies according to own preference. Quite similar to Lou Han Chye but not exactly the same as this is a family style kind of dish very common in most Chinese Hokkien family home. So here, I’m not giving the exact quantity of the ingredients used as you can mix and match them according to own preference.
Some Chinese families will cook this vegetarian dish on the first day of Chinese New Year, too.
Shredded pork belly and canned green peas can be added and this dish tasted even much better.
Ingredients
Some cabbage – cut thin shreds
Some carrots – cut thin shreds
Some black fungus – cut thin shreds
Some dried mushrooms – soaked and cut thin strips
Some fresh foo peh – cut thin strips
Some dried lily buds – knotted and rinsed
A small ball of glass noodles – soak for 5 minutes, drained
Some chopped ginger and garlic
Oyster sauce, light soy sauce, chicken stock granules and pepper to taste
Some dark soy sauce for colour
Oil and sesame oil
  1. Heat oil in wok, sauté chopped ginger and garlic until fragrant. Add in mushrooms, black fungus,foo peh and dried lily buds.  If using pork belly, fry it after garlic, then add the remaining ingredients.
  2. Stir fry to mix. Add in cabbage and carrots, seasoning then water. Bring to boil and cook until vegetables are soft.
  3. Lastly add in the glass noodles to cook until soft and gravy is reduced.  
  4. Dish up to serve.

14 comments:

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Kimmy,
Oh yes ! This is a very tasty vegetarian dish ! Common in Cantonese home too ... I missed my late mom's cooking.

Ana Regalado said...

Ohhh Another delightful vermicelli dish ! I just came from tasting Peng's braised vermicelli noodles and yours look just as mouth watering :D

Thank you so much for all your contributions to the Little Thumbs Up , I really appreciate it !

Baking Taitai said...

Hi Kimmy, your dish reminds me of my mil who will always cook this on the first day of CNY and my kids and I love it will lots of glass noodles. Have a lovely weekend. :)

Chef and Sommelier said...

Very old-school dish which I enjoy very much! Thanks for sharing Kimmy!

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

Hi Kim,

This "Mixed Vegetables with Glass Noodles" make me droolinglah!
Wish I can be your guest and have it now.

Cathleen said...

I have never heard of glass noodles, but it looks like something I would love to eat. Yum!

Kimmy said...

Hi Karen, OIC. Yes I thought about one day we will miss mom's cooking and recipes. This is the reason why I started writing this blog to record my mom's recipe and cooking in the earlier days of my blogging around 2010-2011. Hopefully, my family's future generations will refer here for their grandmother's recipes.

Kimmy said...

Hi Anne, time flies it is already the end of the month. Thanks for hosting this LTU event for us to share some tried and tested recipes on noodles and pasta.

Kimmy said...

Hi Cheryl, having this dish during CNY is a good choice when there are so many meat dishes cooked for CNY. Now, I do add several vegetarian dishes in CNY meals cos' several of my hubby's siblings are full time vegans.

Kimmy said...

Hi Alvin, this looks like an international dish cooked at places where there are Chinese people, hehehe!

Kimmy said...

Hi Aunty Young, it's a vegetable dish that can be eaten warm or cold and acceptable by many people.

Kimmy said...

Hi Cathleen, glass noodles are made from mung beans. It is soft, smooth and has no taste on its own but when cooked, it absorbs the flavours of other ingredients, seasonings and becomes very tasty.

mui mui said...

Hi Kimmy,
I love all your noodles dish. They are all so ho chiak!
This one is one of my favorite. Love how shinny and inviting this glass noodles dish look.

Thank you very much for sharing all your wonderful noodles dish to Little Thumbs Up!

Like Anne mention we really appreciated it :)
mui

Kimmy said...

Hi Mui Mui, thanks for your compliments. Most of these noodles and vegetable dish are very simple and family style recipes.