Followers

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Long Beans Rice

Am I getting lazy these days?  Preparing mostly 1 Dish Meal.  Actually I'm not but very tired.  I have to travel here and there to my mum and MIL's place during different days of the week.  These visits require me either to help clean  or cook at their places which is really tiring.  
This one pot rice is prepared at my MIL's place for Saturday dinner.   I  haven't the time to prepare anything elaborate cos' I have first to clean up her place when we arrive on Saturday afternoons for the weekend stay over.  Anyway, having this for dinner at home is much better than eating out.  Usually, I damned tired to get out of the house after the putting her place in order.  My MIL is recovering from a fractured wrist.
Ingredients
[recipe adapted from Yum Yum magazine with slight modifications] 
250 gm pork belly - skin removed, cut into small pieces [season with some light soy sauce]
200 gm long beans - diced
1 tbsp chopped garlic
300 gm rice - washed and drained
600 ml water
1/2 tbsp oil
some sesame oil
some chopped spring onions
Seasoning
1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
a dash msg to taste
  1. Heat oil in wok, pan fry seasoned pork belly until the oil oozes out and aromatic.  Push aside, add in chopped garlic.  Fry until fragrant.
  2. Add in the rice and seasoning.  Stir well to mix then add in the long beans.  Fry for several seconds to mix ingredients.
  3. Transfer to a deep steaming pot, add water.  Place pot in another big pot and steam for 30 minutes over medium high heat until cooked.  Off heat and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes before fluffing up to serve.
  4. Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve with cut chillies.
Notes
You can cook the fried rice in a rice cooker.  I prefer to steam the rice because it will not stick to the steaming pot.  

I'm linking this post to Cook Your Books #2 Event  hosted by Kitchen Flavours

  photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

10 comments:

ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com said...

Kimmmy, I like this too but if you use snake long beans (the fat and ugly looking long beans), it would be so much better as it's firmer. For old ladies or small kids, then the usual long beans is more suitable for them. Yours looks very yummy :)

Lite Home Bake said...

Hi Kimmy, this is a classic, i love it and don't mind eat it frequently. I normally have some haerbee and lap cheong in it too :) Your family is blessed to have such a good daughter.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
I love one-pot meals like this. I usually cook this in the rice cooker.
Hope your MIL hand will recover real quick!
Thank you for sharing with CYB!

PH said...

Kimmy, this looks very ho chiak! So sweet of you to help out your mum amd mil. I can understand how tiring that can be.

Kimmy said...

Hi Ivy, I agree with you. This pot of rice serves the old and young [from my MIL to niece], hehehe!.

Kimmy said...

Hi Lite Home Bake, actually any other ingredients can be added so long as it is flavourful and easily available. I can't bare to see my old folks look so helpless and lonely at home. These days, company to them is more important than money.

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, I've no choice but to cook one pot meals cos' it really tiring after cleaning up the place [semi-D houses] esp. my MIL's. It's not ending after the recovery cos' she'll be going for her knee cap op...the recovery time is even longer.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, it is tiring especially when you have to leave your cosy home. I hardly have weekends to relax now. May not be able to post recipes regularly.

Veronica said...

Kimmy you are such a wonderful daughter/daughter-in-law and you are a gem! Your long beans rice sure looks yummy. I loved cooking this one pot meal too, fast, easy and delicious. Except I don't put meat but dried shrimps instead.

Kimmy said...

Hi Veronica, thanks for your praises. I certainly needs it to continue the hard work.....I day we will grow old too. Yes, dried shrimps can be used too.