Followers

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Nyonya An Cheang [Meat Rolls]

An Cheang has been my late father's favourite snack and he used to buy them from the Lor Bak stalls but not all stalls make good An Cheang.  He was so happy to locate a particular stall selling very nice An Cheang and we have been buying from this stall since then.
I have never thought or dream of making these meat rolls using caul lining [bung say eu] as wrapper.  The actual recipe uses pig intestines which are quite hard to find these days.  You have to reserve for them from the butcher.
Out of curiosity, yesterday I asked the butcher whether I can get some caul lining.  Surprisingly she said she will keep some for me.  When I went over to her stall this morning, she had them ready and gave to me FOC.  I bought some meat from her and made these meat rolls.  Nice to serve with pickled radish [chai tow sui].

These meat rolls can also be served as steamed An Cheang [no frying] .  Just steamed for 25 minutes, drain off excess water.  Slice meat rolls and serve with pickled radish, chilli sauce etc.
Ingredients - makes 18 pieces
[original recipe from a book 'Nyonya Flavours' with some modifications]  
300 gm caul lining [bung say eu] - rinsed under running water and drain in a colander
600 gm tender meat - washed and cut strips
Marinade
2 tsp 5 spice powder
1 tsp salt to taste
1/2 tsp pepper
4-5 tsp sugar
1 tsp cooking wine
1 tsp sesame oil
a dash of msg
1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
  1. Season meat with marinade for 1-2 hours.
  2. Use caul lining [bung say eu] to wrap marinated meat into meat rolls.
  3. Place rolls on steaming tray and steam for 10 minutes [if frying them] .  Drain off excess water after steaming [you will see lots of water in the steaming tray].  Cool before removing from tray.
  4. Cool rolls and then shallow fry until golden and crispy.  Drain on absorbent paper.
  5. Slice meat rolls and serve immediately with pickled radish.

Pickled Radish [Chai Tow Sui]
200 gm radish - peeled and sliced thinly
100 gm carrot - peeled and sliced
10-15 slices young ginger
50 ml white vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
  1. Sprinkle 2-3 tsp salt on the radish and carrot.  Mix well and leave to marinate for several minutes before rinsing of the salt.  Drain well in colander.
  2. Mix sugar with vinegar in a bowl or glass jar.  Add in prepared radish, carrot and ginger.  Leave to pickle for a least an hour or more.
  3. Serve  with meat rolls.
 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

I'm linking this post to Cook your Books #1 Event hosted by Kitchen Flavours

10 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

Wow, this is very interesting! I have never seen caul lining sold before! I would have thought that pig intestines would be easier to find than caul lining! It's a good thing that you asked from the butcher! Clever you!
Your meat rolls looks very good! I like eating them fried! And I could finish the whole plate of that pickles! Haha!
Thank you for linking!

kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, caul lining is 'limited' edition but nowadays few people wants it. Pig intestines are harder to find now cos' all have been taken up by hawkers. Eating the An Cheang with pickles is better than with chilli sauce.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I don't think I have ever eaten this before, learn something new, I think I can also ask my butcher to reserve this caul lining for me. Hope I can try this out one day.

Lite Home Bake said...

Has been awhile since I last ate this, my ah mah used to make this for festivals when she was still around. Kudos for making this the traditional way!

ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com said...

Hi Kimmy, This is interesting. I didn't know that caul lining can be used for meat rolls. I wonder whether it is easy to get it in KL. Anyway, very yummy... :)

kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, yes, please try, this caul lining can also be used to make the southern peninsula style meat rolls called 'bak kian'.

kimmy said...

Hi Lite Home Bake, it's a bit oily when you steamed them but they are good when pan fried to lightly brown.

kimmy said...

Hi Ivy, try asking the butcher for it. A small quantity is enough for 600 gm meat.

lena said...

oh, learnt something new..i'm not even aware of the caul lining :)

kimmy said...

Hi Lena, it's a part of the pig that has been 'forgotten' by many, hehehe!