Followers

Friday, May 24, 2013

PUMPKIN COTTONY CAKE [OGURA CAKE]

After baking the cottony cake with purple sweet potatoes, I attempted baking another cottony cake, this time using pumpkin puree.  The cake turned out beautiful not only in looks but texture and taste wise - thumbs up.   Spongy, cottony and firm to touch.  I can say I have no complains about it.  I brought some to share with friends at the health centre and the feedback 'it's good'. 
Lovely yellow colour comes from the pumpkin and custard powder.  I added poppy seeds too [can omit if you don't have it].
In this post, I'm sharing quite a number of photos to accompany the various steps of baking this cake.  Hope they are of use and help to some readers who have not tried baking this cottony cake before.
Ingredients
[9 inch square baking tin]
5 egg yolks
1 egg
2 tbsp castor sugar
60 ml corn oil
30 ml milk [depends on pumpkin puree] - can omit
60 gm cake flour  - sifted - set aside
1 1/2 tbsp custard powder
50 gm pumpkin puree
1/4 tsp salt
5 egg whites
4 tbsp castor sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 tbsp poppy seeds [optional]

  1. Line base of a 9" square tin with grease proof paper.   I greased the sides, too and sprinkle lightly with a little flour [this way, the cake sides are a little crusty and can be easily removed from pan after cooling].
  2. Preheat oven to 160 degrees C.    Place a baking tray on the lowest rack, pour in enough water [about 1.5 cups] for steam baking, then place a baking rack over it.  
  3. Whisk egg yolks and 1 whole egg until creamy then gradually drizzle in the corn oil followed by milk.    Whisk until well combined.
  4. Fold in pumpkin puree and sifted flour, stir until batter is smooth.  Add in poppy seed [if using].  Set aside. 
  5. Use a cake mixer, whisk egg whites until frothy, then add in cream of tartar.  Beat until soft peaks then gradually add in the sugar in 3 batches and whisk until stiff peaks formed.  Do not over beat egg whites otherwise it may be difficult to fold in to egg yolk mixture.
  6. Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture until combined.   Then fold in the rest of the meringue lightly in two portions until well combined. 
  7. Pour the batter into prepared cake tin [smoothen with a spatula].   Tap baking tray on work surface a few times to release trapped air bubbles before baking. 
  8. Place it over the baking rack to steam bake cake in a preheated oven at 160 degrees C for 70 minutes [by then the water bath would have dried up] OR bake at 160 degrees C for 10 minutes, lower temperature to 150 degrees C, continue to bake for 50-60 minutes until cake is done.
  9. Remove cake and invert it to cool for about 5 minutes [otherwise the cake base may be moist because of vapour from steam-baking].   Remove baking tin and the paper linings immediately and leave cake to cool on a wire rack [base facing upwards].  The cake may shrink a little when cooled because of less flour used [low gluten cake].
  10. Turn the cake over when cooled completely. Slice to serve or refrigerate before slicing if preferred.  
Notes:
Cake keeps well in an airtight container if refrigerated [about 10-14 days].

16 comments:

Rumbling Tummy said...

This looks really soft. I tried once before and wasn't a success. You motivated me to try again.

kimmy said...

Hi Edith, it's a nice cake. Don't give up. Sometimes, I weren't satisfied with my baking too but I tried again.

Anonymous said...

hi,,kimmy,,
may i used coco powder
instead ofpumpkin puree,,
hope u can share wf me,
thanks u so much,,,
nisah,,,sg

PH said...

Kimmy, the step by step photos are very good for guidance and reference. I must try this pumpkin version when I buy pumpkins.

kimmy said...

Hi Nisah, if you like to use cocoa powder, I would suggest that you try my Chocolate souffle cake or several others which I used cocoa powder. Look up the label for 'cottony cakes' and you should be able to find my postings there.

kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, I think you will like this too. Happy baking.

Sokehah cheah said...

Kimmy, you're now a master of cottony cakes .... thumbs up!

kimmy said...

Hi Cheah, shy to be called a master. I'm still learning through practice but I really love to bake this cake with all possible flavours. Have you started baking this cake?

lena said...

all your cottony cakes look so good. Do you find the texture just the same as ogura cake? i hv yet to try both these cakes....always seem to postpone and postpone...:(

kimmy said...

Hi Lena, this is actually Ogura cake/souffle cake but I called it cottony cake because of its texture and not to confuse myself.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Can we use a round cake pan for this cake as i dont own a square pan.

Kimmy said...

Hi Anonymous, yes you can but you may have some odd pieces when slicing the cake.

LeAnn said...

Hi kimmy, can I omit custard powder or what cam I replace with?

Kimmy said...

Hi LeAnn, perhaps you can replace it with cornstarch. The custard powder helps to give the cake a nicer yellow colour. But since pumpkin is in season now, the natural colour is nice.

Chloe said...

Hi kimmy, can I omit custard powder with no replacement?
what's the function of custard powder beside yellow colour?

Kimmy said...

Hi Chloe, custard powder is like cornflour with colouring. I think it is alright to replace it with cornflour. BTW, about knowing whether I have new postings, you can follow me via email, the submission box is at the bottom of my posting. Happy Baking.