Followers

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Tuna Mayo Rolled Buns [Sponge Dough Method]

Similar bun dough recipe and fillings.  Here, I just wanted to share idea on shaping of these buns.
Ingredients for the buns-Sponge Dough Method
[makes  10 - 12 pieces]
Step 1 - Ingredients
2 tsp instant yeast
160-170 ml  water
230 gm bread flour
  • Mix yeast with water in mixing bowl, then add in flour.  Knead to form a smooth dough.
  • Cover and leave to proof for 1-1 1/2 hours or double in size.
Step 2 - Ingredients
60 gm sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 small egg [20 gm]
25 ml water
100 gm bread flour
30 gm butter
  • Add all Step 2 ingredients  [except butter] to dough from Step 1.  Knead from low speed until well combined.  Continue to knead on medium speed until dough is soft and smooth [takes about 7-10 minutes].  Add in butter, continue to knead until dough is soft and elastic or window pane stage [Notes - if not baking buns immediately, the dough can be kept in plastic bag tied up and refrigerate.   Thaw to room temperature before using.   Advisable to keep up to 48 hours only].
  • Shape dough into a ball.  Cover and leave to proof for 15 minutes.
  • Punch down and divide dough into 10 or 12 pieces.
  • Shape dough into round balls.  Flatten each ball, roll into oval shape. 
  • Place some filling in the centre.  Seal the edges and roll into an oval shape.
  • Fold into half along the long side, then roll up like Swiss roll.
  • Invert dough and place on paper casing.
  • Do the same for the rest of the dough.  Leave to rise for 40-50 minutes or until 2 times in size.
  • Before baking, brush with beaten egg and sprinkle some sesame seeds.
  • Bake in preheated oven at 200 degrees C for  6 minutes, then turn to bottom heat and continue baking for 9 minutes.
  • Leave to cool on rack.
 
 
 
 
Ingredients for Filling 
[Tuna with Mayonnaise]
1 can tuna flakes in oil - drain away all the oil and small chilli
1 big onion - chopped small pieces
3 tbsp mayonaise
dash of pepper and salt to taste
  1. Fry tuna flakes and onions together until onions are soft and mixture is slightly dry.
  2. Remove from pan to cool before adding mayonnaise.  Combine well, filling is ready for use or refrigerate until required.

8 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, very nice! I also want to make. I can eat a few at one go :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, it's not impossible to enjoy freshly baked buns in the morning at your very own home.

Lynn said...

hi Kimmy,

If I like to make more of this, can you advise on the amount of ingredients used?

rdgs
Lynn

Kimmy said...

Hi Lynn, just multiple the basic portion with how much more you like to make. Most important is whether your oven is big enough to bake the increased quantity in one go. I glad that you are baking these lovely buns. Are these for your family?

Lynn said...

Basic portion refers to bread ingredients?
I m thinking to double the bread flour, butter n water in bread ingredients. Remain same amount for sponge dough. M I rite?

BTW I hv added ground flaxseed n bran in most of your bread recipes. I dunno mind it being dry a little but I feel healhtier.

Yes, make for my family as I can control sugar n ingredients:)

Kimmy said...

Hi Lynn, I suggest you use the straight dough method and adjust the ingredients proportionately, it is much easier. I believe you can reduce the sugar but not the yeast and knead the dough till window pane stage. If you consume the bread fast enough within a day or two, it should be okay, not that dry. Keep in mind that you can always steam the bread if you find them a bit dry or hard after 2-3 days.

lynn said...

but I dunno how to convert sponge dough to straight dough method leh? can offer some tips?
and when I wish to try a recipe which is straight dough method and wish to make in sponge dough method, can teach me the method to convert the recipe? I am more confident with sponge dough method.

I have the habit of steaming the bread before consuming. Be it fresh or chilled... even fresh baked bread I also steam, cos I like it warm. it is esp. when I have sandwiched the sliced bread with a piece of cheese or ham.
I need to bake more breads for breakfast that can last for 1 week. I have once tried to bake small amount that last only for 2 days. I have to bake a fresh loaf that nite and ended up having a fresh loaf at near 1am and that was on Wednesday nite where I have to get up at 6am for work. it was very tiring.
I normally freeze all my fresh baked, Every nite, I will place some in the chiller to thaw and steam in the morning. All the breads still stay soft and springy. I suppose it should stay fresh since I airtight and place in the freezer once its cooled.

Kimmy said...

Hi Lynn, it is hard to explain how to convert the recipe from sponge to straight dough method. I suggest that you look up my other bread or bun recipes cos' I did indicate which method the recipe uses. So far they are all good. If your family is having bread as daily breakfast like me, I would recommend that you try my bread loaf recipes especially those for 2 loaves quantity. This quantity is enough for my family of 3 for 4 days and they are healthy bread. You need not freeze them if you can finish it within 4 days. Get 2 Pullman's tins to bake the loaves which weighs about 550 gm each.