Followers

Monday, June 4, 2012

Potato Buns [Straight Dough Method]

This recipe makes 9 pieces of buns in a 9"x9" square tin.    However, I doubled the quantity to make 25 buns using a 24cm square tin to bake them as I am sharing with my neighbour.   The dough is very soft.   The next time I will bake just this quantity using the 9" tin as it is easier to handle.
These buns are soft and moist.    Worth trying
Recipe Source - One Publisher - Koleksi Roti
Ingredients A
70 gm castor sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
40 gm potato flour
Ingredients B
1 1/2 tsp instant yeast
150 ml cold water
Ingredients C
260 gm bread flour
1 tbsp skim milk powder

60 gm butter
egg glaze [I used milk]
Custard mix [use instant custard powder mix with some water into a smooth paste]
  1. Combine ingredients A and B together, then add in ingredients C.  Knead until a soft, smooth dough is formed [about 7-10 minutes].  
  2. Add in butter.  Continue to knead from low speed to combine butter and dough.
  3. Then continue to knead dough on medium high speed until it is soft, smooth and elastic.
  4. Flour hands and shape dough into a round ball.  Cover to let dough rest for 30 minutes or rise to double in size.
  5. Punch down, divide dough into 9 equal portions [about 50gm each].
  6. Shape into round balls and place in a greased baking tray.
  7. Leave dough to rise until double in size.  Brush egg glaze/milk on bread dough.  Put custard paste in a piping bag.  Press custard mix on the surface of each bun in a cross pattern.
  8. Bake on middle rack of preheated oven at 180 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

3 comments:

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Hi Kimmy, I always cherish those messages that were left on my Blog & every time when I see a message from a new friend, I must pop over to say hi! Glad to know you & hopefully 11th will bring me more lucks in my cooking journey(I'm your 11th follower), hehehe!

In regard of your comment of using 50g of wholemeal flour in making bread, can you tell me how much of regular bread flour that you are using to mix with 50g wholemeal flour? I did an experiment on my last bread & I used 50g wholemeal flour to mix with 125g bread flour + 145g of 16-hour poolish version.
16-hour poolish should result a very soft bread but becoz I used 50g wholemeal flour + 2tsp wheat germ, my bread didn't turn out very soft but firm like a cold focaccia. I did it out of my own curiosity & if I didn't do it, I may not know the outcome! It wasn't that bad, just have to re-heat in the microwave before eating becoz it is winter here! I'll share this bread in my future posting.

Kimmy said...

Hi Jessie, welcome to my humble blog. I'm happy to share with all the recipes that I have tested and liked. For most of my 500-550gm loaf bread, I would use 200g bread flour, 50g all purpose flour and 50g wholemeal flour. From my breadmaking practices, I believe that proper kneading & proofing of the dough plays an important part in baking a soft, moist loaf bread. If you are interested, just check out some of my bread recipes with wholemeal flour added. Give it a try & see how it turns out. Whenever I find my bread slices not soft to my liking, I will toast it, it's good. I also find that baking bread using the sponge or overnight methods produce bread that remains soft a longer time. Correct me if I'm wrong becoz I'm also learning.

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Thanks for the advice, Kimmy!