Followers

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Japanese Cream Buns


Came across this bun recipe from Lena's blog [frozen wings].  I have tried her English Cottage Bread Loaf which was good and I believe this recipe must also be good.  Today, I baked them and the quantity is enough for me to share with my neighbour.
The buns are really soft and moist even on the third day.  The texture is good too.  Since I do not have whipping cream I replaced it with plain yoghurt.  Lovely buns which I believe can be used with any type of fillings.
Ingredients
[makes 20-24 buns]
Ingredients A  
 120 gm bread flour + 85 ml boiling water
  • Add boiling water to flour.  Stir well to form a dough.  Cover and set aside to cool before keeping in refrigerator for at least 12 hours.  Thaw for 15 minutes before use.
Ingredients B
380 gm bread flour [I added some wholemeal flour]
5 tbsp [75 gm] sugar
1 tsp salt
2.6 tsp [8gm] yeast
Ingredients C
120 ml cold milk
100 ml whipping cream [I used plain yoghurt]
1 cold egg
Ingredients D - 40 gm butter
  1. Mix ingredients well and add in C.  Knead to form a rough dough.  Add in A.  Knead until well blended [after about 10 minutes kneading].
  2. Add in butter.  Continue kneading until dough is soft, smooth and elastic.  Let proof until double.  Punch down dough and divide into portions [to fit the baking tray] or 60 gm each.  Roll round and rest for 10 minutes.
  3. Place in baking tray and let proof for 50 minutes to an hour.
  4. Bake in preheated oven at 190 degrees C for 15 minutes.
  5. Remove to cool on rack.
Note:
Can use Mexico topping by the 2nd proofing.
Mexico topping [Mix together all ingredients]
60 gm butter + 50 gm sugar - cream and add in 1 egg.  Cream until smooth and add in 65gm flour + 1/4 tsp baking powder.  Mix well.  Pipe topping on top of buns before baking.

2 comments:

joyce said...

hello, how many buns does this recipe make? and what size of aking tray/pan did you use?

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, I used baking tray size 14"x11" [20 buns]. The size and number of buns is up to you. You can baked up to 30 buns it's still ok. Just smaller buns. I have tried baking 2 trays of 16 buns each using a 7" square baking tin.