Followers

Thursday, October 20, 2016

THAI STIR FRY TUNA WITH BASIL LEAVES

Reading through this book, I came across 3 recipes with canned tuna.  It never came across my mind that canned tuna can be used for stir fry and salads [thought it is awesome as filling for baked buns].    The first I tried was Nam-Prik Pla-tu-na [Tuna Salad] which was easy and good.
Thai Stir Fry Tuna With Basil Leaves aka Phad Ka-prow Pla tu-na.  This is the second recipe which I tried.  It is also very easy to prepare yet awesome.  Simple ingredients and seasoning yet this dish is very appetizing with rice.   Do add lots of chopped garlic if you like but I added tomatoes and onions too which you can omit. 
 While preparing this dish, I learned that fresh Basil leaves must not be left to soak in water.  It will turned dark like what you see in the picture.   Just rinse under running water before cooking, this is the advice from my neighbor who gave me these Basil leaves.
Back to this dish, it tasted savoury, sourish and has the refreshing sweet  aroma of the Basil leaves.  Overall this is a nice dish.
Recipe adapted from Healthy and Easy Thai Cooking [my this month's selected cookbook for Cookbook Countdown Event #10]
Ingredients
1 canned tuna in oil – drain away the liquid
2 tbsp chopped garlic
2 tbsp chopped red chilli [I added 2 small green chilli]
1 tomato – cut wedges – optional
1 onion – cut wedges – optional
1 bunch Basil leaves – use the leaves only
1-2 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sugar
Some extra sliced red and green chillies
  1. Heat oil in wok, sauté chopped garlic until aromatic and golden.
  2. Add in tuna flakes, tomatoes/onions [if using] and chillies,  stir fry to mix.
  3. Add in seasoning and 2 tbsp water.  Bring to boil and lastly add in the basil leaves. Toss well and dish up to serve with steaming hot rice.
I'm linking this post with Cookbook Countdown #10 hosted by 

1 comment:

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
Another tasty tuna dish! This would be great with rice indeed! Looks delicious!